Clinical Psychology Services
David Edwards is a Clinical Psychologist in Private Practice and practices from a home-based office in Westlake, Cape Town. He offers individual therapy as well as couples therapy.
He is registered as a Clinical Psychologist with the Health Professions Council of South Africa and is certified as a schema therapist (individual and couples’ therapy) by the International Society of Schema Therapy (ISST). He is an Associate Fellow of the British Psychological Society and registered as a Clinical Psychologist with the Health Professions Council of the United Kingdom. He is also a Diplomate and Founding Fellow of the Academy of Cognitive Therapy which provides training and sets standards for Cognitive Therapy as developed by Aaron Beck.
David Edwards offers psychotherapy for the treatment of most psychological problems including:
- anxiety, panic, posttraumatic stress disorder, social anxiety generalized anxiety etc
- eating disorders
- mood swings and erratic shifts in emotional state often associated with bipolar disorder or borderline personality disorder
- problems with self-control (eg in expressing anger, use of drugs and alcohol)
- child and adolescent behaviour problems
- personality disorders
- relationship dissatisfaction, relationship conflicts etc..
He uses the schema therapy model where appropriate but also offers shorter term treatment where this is indicated.
He is the only certified schema therapist actively practicing in South Africa (as far as he knows). However there are several other psychologists in South Africa familiar with schema therapy who have attended his workshops and received supervision from him. He is also in contact with others received training overseas and have returned to South Africa. He may be able to provide names of South African psychologists in other centres who use the schema therapy approach in their treatment.
David Edwards also conducts psycho-legal assessments where he specializes in the psychological effects of traumatic events such as motor vehicle accidents, other accidents, assaults and rapes.
Applying for services
Please contact us if you wish to apply for any of these services or for further information.
Please note that the process begins with a psychological assessment which serves to provide an in depth understanding the kinds of problems you want help with and a basis for planning an appropriate approach to working with them.
- STISA information for clients 2017 – This document provides information about what to expect, fees charged, and the legal rights and responsibilities of those who are clients of a clinical psychologist. Note: fees charged for those in countries outside South Africa are available separately on request.
- Directions to David Edwards’ Stonehurst practice